The Scottish Information Commissioner - It's Public Knowledge
Share this Page
Tweet this page:
Text Size Icon

- Text Size Up | Down

Person IconAccess to personal information about yourself

There is no right to see personal information about yourself under freedom of information law. If you use the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 to ask to see your personal information your request will almost certainly be refused.

You do, however, have rights under other laws to see information that an organisation holds about you. 

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you rights to request and receive your own personal data. You also have rights to see information about yourself held by credit reference agencies under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, and to see medical reports about yourself under the Access to Medical Reports Act 1988.

Consumer Focus Scotland has produced "What's on My Record?", a practical guide to rights of access to personal information, available online.  Hard copies of this free booklet are available from the CFS office, to request a copy email  Consumer Focus Scotland.

Or contact:

Consumer Focus Scotland
Royal Exchange House
100 Queen Street
G1 3DN

Telephone: 0141 226 5261
Fax: 0141 221 0731
Minicom: 0141 226 8459

Q.  What if I am unhappy with the way in which my request was dealt?
  If you want to complain about the handling of a request for your personal information you can contact the (UK) Information Commissioner.  This is the independent public official who enforces rights to personal information. His main office is based in Wilmslow, Cheshire and he has a regional office in Edinburgh: 

Information Commissioner's Office
45 Melville Street



Tel:  0131 244 9001


Back to Top