Strategic and Operational Plans
The Scottish Information Commissioner is required to lay a four-year Strategic Plan before the Scottish Parliament, on how the Commissioner proposes to perform his or her functions during that four year period. On 24 February 2012, just prior to leaving office, former Commissioner Kevin Dunion published a four year plan for 2012 to 2016.
The Strategic Plan 2012-2016 - Freedom of Information: At a Crossroads
There are six themes in the plan:
- Case closure efficiency: Investigative capacity will be used to safeguard achievements in reducing journey time to closure, in spite of resource constraints, and a new case management system will be introduced.
- Compliance and practice improvements: Even more comprehensive assessments of public authority practice will be conducted, including more in-depth consideration to issues which would adversely affect the entitlement of applicants.
- Proactive transparency: Uptake of the Commissioner's Model Publication Scheme will be encouraged, to further promote the proactive publication of information by public authorities.
- Professional exchange and public awareness: A strategic plan for the Centre for Freedom of Information will be developed and we will continue to promote awareness of the public's rights to information e.g. through social media and our website.
- FOI Development: The Commissioner will contribute to Ministerial consultations on legislative amendments, and make further proposals to Ministers on the designation of new bodies.
- Working with reduced resources: A focus on continuously seeking to increase the efficiency, effectiveness and economy of the Commissioner's office.
Strategic Plan 2012-2016 (PDF - 167 kB)
Strategic Plan 2012-2016 Appendices (PDF - 471 kB)
Previous Strategic Plans
Strategic plan 2008-2012
Each year, the Commissioner also publishes an annual Operational Plan, which sets out the specific programme of activity the Commissioner will follow over the year, in pursuit of the key strategic themes as set out in the four year plan.
Operational Plan 2012-2013 (PDF - 154 kB)
Operational Plan 2011-2012
Operational Plan 2010-2011
Operational Plan 2009-2010
Back to Top