Strategic and Operational Plans
The Scottish Information Commissioner is required to lay a four-year Strategic Plan before the Scottish Parliament, on how the Commissioner proposes to perform his or her functions during that four year period. In March 2016 Rosemary Agnew laid a new Strategic Plan for 2016 to 2020 before the Scottish Parliament.
Strategic Plan 2016 to 2020
Freedom of Information will add demonstrable value to public services and contribute positively to the transparency and accountability of public functions in Scotland.
To realise this vision, the Commissioner's office will:
- support the on-going development of Scottish public sector culture and practice where the sharing and disclosing information is routine, and which actively serves openness, transparency and the public interest
- help people to be familiar with their rights to access information and exercise them knowledgeably and responsibly
- enable and support Scottish public authorities to develop and maintain high standards of FOI policy and practice. We will do this through a combination of regulation, advice and assistance, and appropriate collaboration. This includes promoting embedding FOI in good communication, excellent customer service, creation and management of records and in supporting efficient, equitable and accountable delivery of statutory functions
- contribute positively to Scotland being respected as a world-leader in openness, transparency, and access to information law, policy and practice. Including supporting the development of Scottish access to information law to ensure it remains fit for purpose
- be recognised as an organisation of accessible experts, that is run efficiently, governed effectively and leads by example in the delivery of its statutory functions. We will ensure that delivery of our functions meets and keeps pace with recognised standards and national public service improvements, and is delivered openly and transparently.
Previous Strategic Plans
Strategic Plan for 2013 to 2016
Strategic Plan for 2012 to 2016
Strategic plan for 2008 to 2012
Each year, the Commissioner also publishes an annual Operational Plan, which sets out the specific programme of activity the Commissioner will follow over the year, in pursuit of the key strategic themes as set out in the four year plan.
Operational Plan 2017-2018
Operational Plan 2015-2016
Operational Plan 2014-2015
Operational Plan 2013-2014
Operational Plan 2012-2013
Operational Plan 2011-2012
Operational Plan 2010-2011
Operational Plan 2009-2010
Back to Top