UK FOI law


Your rights under Scottish FOI law apply to information held by bodies under the jurisdiction of the Scottish Parliament - that is, Scottish public authorities, publicly owned companies and bodies designated by the Scottish Ministers.

You have similar rights to access information from UK public authorities under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

Examples of UK public authorities

UK public authorities include UK government departments and agencies responsible for matters reserved to the UK Parliament, such as:

  • UK foreign policy
  • UK defence and national security
  • immigration and nationality
  • the economic and monetary system, including HMRC.

The UK Act is enforced by the UK Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), whose website has more information.

You can read more about "devolved" and "reserved" matters on the Scottish Parliament's website.

Return to the Who can I ask? page