The May 2022 Progress Report finds that, while significant improvements have been made in a number of areas, further work is required if FOI performance is to be raised and sustained.
Improvements made include:
- an increased understanding across the Scottish Government of FOI request-handling processes and procedures
- the ending of the inappropriate practice of handling requests from journalists and political researchers differently from other requesters
- a greater reliance on internal expertise in the handling of FOI requests.
Remaining issues include:
- evidence of widespread failures to comply with records management requirements when handling FOI requests
- issues with the organisation's ability to track, monitor and report on key elements of FOI performance
- inconsistent compliance with new procedures designed to prevent delays in the approval of FOI responses.
The Report contains a number of recommendations to support the delivery of further improvements in FOI performance and practice.