6 July 2021
"Resilience: FOI & EIR During and After the Pandemic", online, 24-25 August 2021
This summer sees the return of the FOI Practitioners' Conference - and the complete programme and full speaker line-up for this unmissable event have now been confirmed.
Hosted by the University of Dundee's Centre for Freedom of Information, the conference is specifically aimed at those working in FOI for a Scottish public authority, and offers a unique opportunity to gain practical advice, learn about the latest updates and developments, and join in discussions with counterparts from across the public sector as well as the Commissioner's team.
The event is taking place online over two half-day morning sessions, each featuring a mix of presentations, authority case studies and facilitated discussions. We're pleased to announce that the opening speakers across the two days will be:
- Daren Fitzhenry, Scottish Information Commissioner - Looking Back and Looking Forward
- Gerry Hendricks, Head of FOI Unit, Scottish Government - Managing FOI During the Pandemic
- Professor Colin Reid, University of Dundee - EIRs Research: Key Outcomes for Authorities
- Lynn Wyeth, Head of Information Governance and doctoral researcher - A Recipe for Success in FOI
In addition, Day One (Tuesday 24 August, 9:30am-12:30pm) will feature the following sessions and speakers:
- Impact of Covid on FOI - Margaret Keyse and Paul Mutch (Scottish Information Commissioner)
- Pandemic case studies - Rachel Mitchell (Care Inspectorate), Tara Palmer (NHS Ayrshire and Arran), Rhoda Davidson and Sharon Phipps (NatureScot), Craig Geddes (East Renfrewshire Council), Alan Bell (NHS Grampian), Sheena Brennan (Police Scotland)
- Sharing experiences - discussion facilitated by Joe Chapman and Lynsey McKenna (Scottish Information Commissioner)
Meanwhile, Day Two (Wednesday 25 August, 9:30am-12:30pm) will include the following:
- Future approaches to publication - Erin Gray and Joe Chapman (Scottish Information Commissioner)
- Improvement case studies - Miles Watters and Angela Morrison (Highland Council), Lindsay Turpie (Dumfries and Galloway Council), Jackie McKelvie (Scottish Police Authority), Margaret Guthrie (NHS Fife)
- Support for FOI staff - discussion facilitated by Paul Mutch and Lynsey McKenna (Scottish Information Commissioner)
Book your place now via the University of Dundee's online store. The University of Dundee is responsible for the administration of the conference including the booking system. The delegate fee is £30; no refunds can be offered but places can be transferred if required. A full privacy notice will be provided via the Centre for FOI website.
Although it's an online event this year, please note the conference is intended for people working in FOI at a Scottish public authority. It is always extremely popular, so if you're interested in attending, book your place as soon as possible.